Simplifying nutrition and using food as medicine - one bite at a time.

My goal with this blog is to set folks straight about what good nutrition really is! Starting by discarding the info we get every day from 'sponsors' that do not really have our best interests at heart, I want to inspire you to eat better AND realize it is much easier than you thought it would be!

Just about any health issues can be addressed with nutrition (and meditation), from mild to chronic to acute. We truly have the ability to heal ourselves physically, mentally and spiritually...

And you can use your daily routine as your vehicle to drive that change :)


Join me...

Quote of the Month

"When food, in the minds of eaters, is no longer associated with farming and with the land, then the eaters are suffering a kind of cultural amnesia that is misleading and dangerous"
~Wendell Berry

Friday, April 4, 2014

My Encounter with Paul Stamets

Hello friends,
I want to share with you a wonderful day I had recently with fellow-mushrooms-enthusiast friends of mine; attending a talk by Paul Stamets in Vancouver.
It was a 2 hour talk by him, hosted by Banyan Books, about his work with developing various life-saving formulas with medicinal mushrooms, as well as a great deal of work he has done on environmental clean-up techniques using ass't fungi. It was a really inspiring talk. I have not been to something so inspiring in a long time. This is one man who is visibly changing the world for the better.

If you haven't watched it yet, please watch his TED talk video 6 Ways Mushrooms Will Save the World and you'll see many of the examples he described in this talk. Even though i had previously seen several of his videos online and have followed his work for over a decade, I still learned so much from him and his wisdom. I also saw old friends from the supplement industry there; the ones who never settled for the majority poor quality supplements out there. The ones who support whole food-based supplements; those made with integrity. And there were several Bowen 'neighbours' there too. It was a delightful afternoon.

I was very nervously excited to meet him after his talk; this man behind the fungi I had been studying rather fervently for several years now. I even brought my prized, rare Agarikon mushrooms to show him (see him holding it in photo). Lo and behold he had brought his too! Picture it; two mushrooms geeks sporting their trophy's!

The next day, my mushroom pals and I went out for a fungi forage and found quite the bounty of turkey tail (aka coriolus, or trametes versicolour, photo below right) and ganoderma applenatum (aka BC Reishi, photo below left) mushrooms. With them I make healing tea - which, by the way, would help almost any ailment, since it modulates your immune system.
 

After the talk I phoned my Mom to tell her how great it was and I guess she heard something in my voice and my excitement so she decided we should do his upcoming Workshop at Hollyhock as an early birthday present for me and a Mother-Daughter 'project'. Needless to say, I'm overjoyed and can hardly wait!!!

Thanks for tuning in to my geek speak :)

More practical info on mushrooms coming soon...

Yours in health...
Lisa Marie

No comments:

Post a Comment